Items are the products that your company sells and may be Inventory, Service, or Shipping. The Items module keeps a record of inventory items, as well as a convenient place to see the Cost and Price of an item. In the Settings Module , the name of your item is customizable and can be renamed to fit your company’s particular process flow. (The screen shot below shows the name change from “Items” to “Parts”)
- Please see Inventory for information or questions regarding Inventory control.
- You can also view a detailed description of how to import items into your database by batch here: Import Items Using a CSV File.
Create an Item
To create an item, click the New button located in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Required fields are marked with an asterisk. Or, you may Import items in using a CSV spreadsheet file. The Item box has 5 different tabs: Item, Details, Locations, Reorder Points, and Images. Detailed information on each of these tabs is outlined below.
The Item Tab has 3 sections and is explained as follows:
- The Main section holds the Item’s Name, description, UOM, SKU, URL and UPC. The Name, Type, and UOM are all required fields. The description and extra tracking are optional. Each is the default Unit of Measure, but additional UOM’s may be created in the UOM Module.
- The Inventory Types provides 3 different options:
- Inventory – Can be purchased, sold, and IS stocked in inventory.
- Service – Can be purchased and sold but is not stocked in inventory.
- Shipping – Can be purchased or sold, but is not stocked in inventory.
- The Sales section holds the Item Name and Sales price to be shown on the Sales Order.
- The Purchasing section is where a default vendor can be set for the item. This default vendor is the vendor used to create an automatic Purchase Order if reorder points are set up.
The Details tab has 3 sections: Miscellaneous, Conversions, and Tracking.
- The Misc section is where tags and notes associated with the item can be added. Tags can be filtered on some reports (such as Inventory on Hand) and can be used to view stock or email a PDF stock report to clients.
- Unit of Measure conversions will default to the values set in the Units of Measure module , but can be customized on a per item basis.
- Tracking fields can be created in the Settings Module. Lot Number and Expiration Date are default tracking fields. However, additional fields may be created in the Settings Module, Item Tab. Serial Numbers are not supported in Boxstorm at this time.
The default location in Boxstorm is Main. Items are assigned to a Location in this tab, however the Locations must have previously been created in the Locations Module.
- The Locations tab is where default locations can be set for the item. Main is a default location, but any other Locations must first be created in the Locations Module. Items must be assigned both a Parent AND Default Location.
Reorder Points Tab
Reorder Points allow you to set min, max, and alert levels for each of your parent locations. If a phone number or email address is provided, a notification will be sent when the total inventory on hand for that location reaches the alert and minimum levels.
- To create a new Reorder Point, choose the icon. The Set Reorder Details box will be displayed where you can set the Parent Location, Minimum and Maximum levels, as well as an alert level. Notifications will be sent to the phone or email information provided when the inventory reaches the levels specified.
Boxstorm allows each item to have multiple images. The image uploaded here will be displayed for the item on the Items home page list, Sales Order, and Reports. A default image must be selected, and can be chosen by checking the default box below the desired image.
Add Inventory to an item
Inventory is not added to an item during its initial creation unless you enter the inventory during a CSV import. Instead, it is added from the Items Home Page once an item has been saved. Please see the Inventory page for detailed information on how to add inventory.
From within the Boxstorm website, you can scan inventory in or out using a Bluetooth or corded scanner. (If you need a scanner, you can visit our hardware store for pricing and purchase options) It is recommended to do a .csv import or manually enter your inventory prior to using the scan module.
To scan items, click the Scan Inventory button located in the top right corner of the Items Module home page. Information is entered using a scanning device or manually entered into the text field. Fields marked with an *asterisk are required. There are 4 Inventory scan types to choose from:
- Add – This is recommended for adding initial or additional inventory.
- Remove – This is recommended for deducting inventory.
- Move – This is recommended for moving inventory from one location to another.
- Cycle – This is recommended when doing a physical inventory count and quantity adjustments are necessary.
Scan the Item, Location, Lot Number (if Tracking), and Quantity (Quantity entered here should be the total amount). The Unit of Measure and Unit Cost are default for the specified item; however they may manually be adjusted here. The Note field is optional. Click save for each scanned item. Repeat process for additional scanned items.
In addition to the scanning features on the Boxstorm website, you now have the option to manage your inventory using the scan features of the Boxstorm iOS and Android app. The app features are to be used with an existing inventory already in the Boxstorm Inventory Management system.
Edit an Item
To edit an item click on its name. This blue hyperlink will open the item details allowing for modification. Click Save when your changes are complete.
Boxstorm offers powerful functionality to import from CSV files. CSV is a generic format for spreadsheet data. Many applications can export data to CSV or to a spreadsheet, and any spreadsheet application can save a file as a CSV.
- For detailed instructions on how to import items, please see Import Items Using a CSV File
Search for an Item
The Search field offers a quick way to find an item. Items can be searched by almost any information assigned to them, including their Name, Item Type, and Description.
A Filter Items search allows you to filter your items based on a variety of different options. To do so, choose the Filter Items button located next to the Search field. Choose how you would like to filter your items and click “Apply”. Multiple filter options may be applied.
Once the filters have been chosen, click Save. This will save these options for future use. To load a previously saved filter, select the filter tab from the top of the screen. To create a new set of filters, choose the New Filter(s) option again.
History of an Item
Any history of the item will be shown here, along with the date and user that made the changes. The following features are also available through the History page:
- The History page can be filtered using the search field.
- Click a column header to sort the table.
- Click the Column settings button to customize the columns that are visible.
- Click the Print button to print the current view.
- Click the Export to CSV button to export the current view.