1. Inventory is managed by the Items Module. The name “Items” may be customized by your company to fit your specific needs. (For example, the name Items has been changed to Parts for this demo purpose) If desired, the name may be changed in the Company | Settings Module.
2. Upon opening the Items Module, all of your items will be shown even if they have no inventory. Deleted items are not listed, but may be searched for using the “Filter Item” feature (see more in the Filter Items section).
3. A total Quantity for each item is calculated and displayed under the Quantity column of each item row. To view more detailed inventory levels and make adjustments click the Inventory button located on the right side of the Item row.
Adjusting Inventory for an Item
1. The Inventory box will display the total quantity on hand, on sales orders, and on purchase orders. It will also display average cost and total costs for the item, as well as the separate locations and quantity in each location.
On the right side of the box, there are three buttons with different features.
- Adds new inventory
- Adjusts the average cost
- will show or hide the columns
2. Selecting the checkbox next to a location will allow access to three additional buttons.
- removes inventory from the selected location
- allows inventory to be moved to a new location
- allows inventory quantities for the selected location to be cycle counted (cycle count is used when adjusting quantity physically on hand to match quantity shown in Boxstorm)
1. Inventory may be moved from one location to another by doing an Inventory Move. If inventory is simply being relocated, a move is the best option. If inventory is not physically in a location, the best option is to add inventory. Adjusting inventory has the possibility of changing cost of the item which could, possibly, adjust accounts in QuickBooks. Therefore to relocate existing inventory from one location to another, the Inventory Move is the feature to use.
2. To transfer inventory go to the Items Module and choose the Inventory icon on the right hand side.
3. Check the box next to the location of inventory in which you wish to move items FROM. Once the header turns green, choose the Move icon.
4. You will then be taken to the Inventory – Move screen where you will be required to choose the new Location and quantity being moved.
Add Tracking to an Item
1. Tracking may be added to existing inventory by clicking the Item number and choosing the Details tab. Select the preferred tracking method by checking the box for Lot Number or Expiration Date and click Save. Serial numbers are not supported in Boxstorm at this time.
2. After saving your tracking method an Add Tracking box will be displayed. Choose the Add Tracking icon. You will be guided to enter the tracking information for each location that has inventory. Choose Next and/or Finish to complete this step.
3. To view tracking from the Inventory module click the Inventory box next to your tracked item in the Item Module. Choose the newly appeared Show Tracking button. This will show Quantity, Lot Number and/or Expiration Date for the location. Tracking may also be edited from this same screen.
View the Inventory History of an Item
1. To see the Inventory History of an item click the Show History button, then select Inventory.
2. Any inventory history of the item will be shown here, along with the date and user that made the changes. The following features are also available through the Inventory History page:
- The list may be filtered using the search field.
- Click a column header to sort the table.
- Click the Column settings button to customize the columns that are visible.
- Click the Print button to print the current view.
- Click the Export to CSV button to export the current view.
Import Inventory Items
1. Boxstorm offers the functionality to import data in mass batches via CSV files. CSV is a generic format for spreadsheet data. Many applications can export data to CSV format or to a spreadsheet, and any spreadsheet application can save a file as a CSV.
2. To import from a CSV file, click the Menu button and select Inventory Add: Import. *Note: An item must first be created in Boxstorm before inventory can be added to it.
3. Click the Choose File button if you have a spreadsheet ready to import, or click the link to download a sample file. All Imports provide you with the option to download a sample CSV file. This will help you to see how a file should be formatted so that it can import correctly. You can use this file as a template and delete the information shown for the sample database (recommended), or you can create your own file and add each of the headers needed yourself.
4. If you choose the option to download a CSV file first to view the correct format, you can open it by clicking the file located in the lower left hand corner of your screen (It may also be located in your Downloads folder).
5. After your spreadsheet has been populated correctly, go back to the Inventory Module and once again choose the 3 vertical circles in the upper right hand corner. Select Inventory Add: Import. Browse to your file that will be imported and click the Next button.
6. The screenshot below shows the correct format for importing items. The fields highlighted in green are Required for import.
7. After selecting the spreadsheet to be imported, you will then be asked to match columns. If the default format is used, the columns should match on their own. If a red X is located next to a column, it simply means the system could not match on its own and you must manually choose the spreadsheet column that matches the system column. For example, if the system can not tell which column on your spreadsheet is supposed to be the description, it will ask you to select the column manually using the dropdown. If you continue to have problems with the upload after this point, please contact (firstname.lastname@example.org). After all columns are found and green choose Next. *Note: Name, Location, UOM, Quantity, and Cost are all required fields.
8. A preview of the data that will be imported is then shown. The Settings icon allows customization by showing or hiding columns. The Download Data icon allows the data to be downloaded into a CSV spreadsheet file. Click the arrows at the bottom to review all data (if applicable), and then click the Import Data button in the bottom right corner of your screen.
Export Inventory Items
To export from Boxstorm, click thebutton and select Inventory Add: Export. Boxstorm can export the filtered list in the current search, or the entire Inventory list. The exported spreadsheet can be found in the lower left corner of your screen, or where your Downloads are located.