The Purchase Orders module allows items to be purchased from vendors. The Purchase Orders module can be found under the Purchasing dropdown. The ability to scan barcodes is also a feature and can be scanned using the Scan Items to Order field. When viewing the Purchase Order list, all POs with a status of open and partial will be visible. Fulfilled orders may be viewed by creating a filter. Note: Item has been customized to Part in this demo purpose. Item may be renamed according to your company needs in the Company | Settings module.
Create a Purchase Order
1. To create a Purchase Order, enter the Purchase Orders module from the Purchasing dropdown menu. All Open or Partially Fulfilled orders will be shown here in a list.
2. Click New in the upper right hand corner. Required fields will be marked with an * asterisk. The payment terms will default to the set terms for the chosen vendor.
3. To add items to the order, click theAdd Line button. You may then choose an Item to be placed on the order. All of the default info for this specific item (UOM, Location, Cost) will auto-populate on the order. If any of the fields need to be adjusted, they may be done so by manually clicking on the field and changing the information. If the Cost is shown as 0.00, it is likely due to the fact that this item has never previously been purchased from this vendor. Simply highlight the cost field and manually enter the cost.
4. Items may also be added to an order through barcode scanning. In order to scan barcodes, the feature must first be enabled through the Company | Settings module. The feature is located in the Company tab, right hand side. If the Scan Barcodes feature is on, simply use the Scan Parts to Order field and manually scan items onto the order.
5. Next, choose the Order Details tab to ensure that the Vendor Address and the desired Ship To Address are correct. (These fields will populate from default vendor info located in the Vendors module.)
After setting the order details, click the Save button.
1. To automatically create a purchase order, click the Auto Order button from the Purchase Orders home page. The auto order will create an order for items below their reorder points, including all sub-locations. The calculation includes quantities that are already on purchase orders.
2. Reorder points are assigned to each item in the Item module | Reorder Points tab. A Purchase Order will be created using the minimum/maximum levels established for that item.
Click Finish to complete the Auto Order.
Fulfill a Purchase Order
To fulfill an order, choose the order to be fulfilled and click the Fulfill button located in the upper right hand corner. The Item Fulfillment box will be displayed, allowing you to choose the items to be fulfilled. Highlight the row of items to be fulfilled and verify the quantity to fulfill. If not all of the items are being received at this time, edit the quantity to fulfill and click Finish. Items that are remaining will stay on the order with a Partial status until the rest of the order is completed. Items will be received into inventory for the location specified on the order.
To view fulfilled orders, search the Purchase Orders using a Filter.
To print a Purchase Order report or a Receiving Ticket, click the Print button and select your desired report.
To quickly find an order, start typing in the Search field. Click a result in the list to open it. The Search field will utilize Total, Status, Vendor, and Number.
1. To perform a more advanced search, click Filter Purchase Orders next to the Search field on the home page. Choose the filter option you would like from the given dropdown menu and click Apply. Multiple filters may be applied at the same time.
History of a Purchase Order
1. To see the history of an order, click the Show History button on the line of any order.
2. The list can be filtered using the Search field and can be sorted by clicking a column header. Click the Column Settings button to customize the columns that are visible. Click the Print button to print the current view, and theExport to CSV button to export the current view.
Purchase Order Imports and Exports
Boxstorm can import and export information through Comma Separated Values (CSV) files. CSV files can be viewed and edited in spreadsheet applications like Microsoft Excel, or in any text editor. Boxstorm can also import data from TXT, XLS, and XLSX files.
- Imports provide a convenient way to bring external data into Boxstorm (update a vendor part list, import an order from an online shopping cart, etc.)
- Exports allow Boxstorm data to be used externally (update a website with product prices, export a list of customers, etc.)
Using Imports and Exports
The following steps outline the basic use of imports and exports. From the Purchasing tab, click the three vertical dots on the top-right of the Boxstorm Client and choose Import or Export. Boxstorm can export the filtered list in the current search or the entire purchase order list. The exported spreadsheet can be found in the lower left corner of your screen, or where your downloads are located.
How to Import Purchase Orders
Once you have selected the Import Purchase Orders feature, the following dialogue window will appear. There are 4 steps that need to occur so as to successfully import your purchase order file.
STEP 1: Upload File
Choose a file you already have prepared with your purchase order list, or download a sample CSV file to prepare for upload.
RECOMMENDED: Download the CSV file to make sure that the column headers in your purchase order record match the CSV headers to import into Boxstorm with little modification.
STEP 2: Match Columns
After importing your CSV file, Boxstorm will display the columns to be imported. This allows you to select which columns you want from your file to be assigned to each field. That way, if you have your own column headers, and they don’t match the names of Boxstorm’s default headers, you can specify which header is to be assigned to each field. If there are issues uploading your vendor list, you will see what errors you have on the final step. All required fields need to be selected. Once the import shows ALL green checkmarks, you are free to click NEXT and move forward in the import process.
STEP 3: Review Data
At this time, review the import data. This is to ensure that the fields you want to import have been properly selected.
STEP 4: Import Complete
Your purchase order import is now complete. You may click DONE and begin using Boxstorm for your inventory management needs.
Note: If you encounter an import error, you will see the following windows and be prompted to fix the issues, giving you the associated error message needed for a successful import. Changes can be made on that screen, or you can download a file of just those problem records and change the data there.
How to Export Purchase Orders
Once you have selected the Purchase Order Export feature, the following dialogue window will appear. It will give you the option to export ALL items or a FILTERED export.
If you choose to export ALL purchase orders, you will be prompted to save or open an Excel spreadsheet with your purchase orders and associated data.
If you want to export a smaller data set, the FILTERED option may best suit your needs. To filter your purchase order list, you can enter your description into the Search field and it will auto-populate, or click the FILTER PURCHASE ORDERS button and choose/fill-in from the list of fields displayed.
Once you apply the filter, you will be prompted to open or save your filtered export list. At this point, you are ready to use your exported purchase order information in all your application needs.
New Purchase Orders
Fulfilling Purchase Orders