Our Checklist for Choosing the Right Software for Your Company
This is a summary of the steps we use when purchasing software for our business. You can see the full article here. Once we choose a software package, we usually stick with it for YEARS, so it is always worth it for us to spend a few days researching so we can make the right decision.
- Outline the problems you are hoping to solve. Ask other employees to see what everyone thinks is important. Prioritize your problems and make a list.
- Generally, you should look for software that:
- Is simple and easy to use
- Is stable and doesn’t have a lot of issues
- Has great reporting tools
- Will work on all of the devices you use
- Has good training and support available
- Has an audit trail
- Will scale with your needs and growth
- Figure out what software you already have and how this new software will work with it.
- Check the app stores or marketplaces of your current software.
- If needed, check review sites like softwareadvice.com or capterra.com.
- If you still haven’t found any good options, try searching online using specific phrases that include your biggest problems and look through the “Features” pages of the websites you find.
- Good software is worth every penny. Don’t settle for something inexpensive and inferior.
- Use a trial version of your top two options and test out a sample of your real data and processes.
- Take time to set up your software correctly the first time, and get training and guidance as needed.